When considering the interior design of your home, how you cover your windows is a very important decision, and one that shouldn’t be taken lightly. Let’s take a look at the top 10 advantages of curtains over blinds.
Curtains add visual elegance to a room
Where both vertical and horizontal blinds just cover the window and add very little
to the look and feel of the room, curtains and their fittings add a certain style.
Curtain poles come in a wide variety of styles, from simple metal curtain poles to
wood effect ones. Finials (the decorative ends of the curtain poles) also come
in all shapes and sizes, so you are sure to find a style that suits your room.
When open, curtains frame a window beautifully, creating a border which is lacking
with blinds. Whether pulled up or to the side, blinds cover only the window, whereas
curtains can hang below and to the side of the window. Tying curtains back adds
a certain elegance which blinds cannot offer.
Curtains and curtain tracks or poles can be bent to fit a bay window
Although some vertical blinds can be bent to the shape of a bay window, a vertical
blind will take away the lovely effect and leave the room looking more like an
office. A curtain track or curtain pole can be made to measure and bent to suit
a bay window and the curtains will once again add elegance and style. Curtain
tracks are also more flexible and can be made to fit a wider range of bay windows.
Increased fitting flexibility
Some of today’s more modern windows and patio doors open inwards leaving little
space to fix. With curtain tracks that can be as small as 5mm and some that can
even be recess fixed into a ceiling, this will leave plenty of room for a window
or door to open inwards.
Curtains provide insulation
Typically blinds are thin and offer minimal heat insulation to a room. Compare
this with a lovely warm set of curtains which not only keep the heat inside but
also cut draughts as they can hang below the window ledge, unlike blinds which
stop just above the ledge. Curtains can also be interlined with a thick material
to add extra heat insulation.
Hand, cord or electric operation
Curtain tracks and curtain poles can be hand operated so that many different curtains
can operate on one window. This allows curtains of different widths and drops
to stack at different locations on the window. In addition they can also be operated
as a blind with a cord to avoid handling the curtains or electrically for the
extra security and a touch of luxury.
Easy to keep clean
Blinds can be dust traps, especially horizontal ones. As more people are suffering
from asthma and dust allergies, curtains are a healthy choice, requiring little
care to keep them clean and presentable. The tracks and poles need little servicing
and the curtains need only be vacuumed or dry cleaned on the odd occasion.
Want a new look and feel?
Although white or cream blinds will fit in with most room styles and colours,
they do nothing to enhance it. Curtains can blend in with your room, or can be
chosen to enhance or contrast with it. Redecorating? No problem, just choose new
curtains to match. Curtains can also have trimmings and contrast edges to pick
out other colours within the room. Buttons can be added to pleats, cord can be
added to edges or pleats as can a contrast trimming. Curtains offer a much wider
scope for design.
Curtains can be controlled remotely
As mentioned above, electric curtain tracks can be fitted which allow you to control
your curtains from the comfort of your armchair. Although it may seem like the
height of laziness, there is a practical aspect to electric curtain tracks. When
on holiday, people typically use automated light-switching devices but have to
leave curtains or blinds half open. Electric curtains can be set to open and close
at set times each day, giving the impression that someone is home. Alternatively
a light sensor can be added to open and close the curtains in conjunction with
the daylight hours.
Curtains are easy to hang
Want to change your curtains? Simply unhook them from your curtain pole, attach
the hooks to your new curtains and away you go. Replacing vertical blinds can
involve unhooking each blind from the next, unclipping each one carefully (the
plastic is easy to snap), and then going through the whole rigmarole in reverse
to put them back up. Other blinds must be removed all in one, making it easy to
damage them as they are taken down or put back up.
Reliable and cost effective
With so many working parts or fiddly clips, blinds tend to be less reliable than
curtains on a track or a pole. Combining curtains with a good, reliable curtain
track or pole can be a more cost effective option; especially as curtain prices
have been greatly reduced since the introduction of ready-made and express curtain
making services. And if your requirements change, you can simply hang new curtains
on your existing track or pole.
We hope you have found our information about the advantages of curtains over
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Anthony_Head
More Photos of Curtains Over Blinds
curtains, curtains over blinds, curtains over vertical blinds, curtain, curtains and blinds, vertical blinds with curtains, curtains with blinds, curtain styles, curtain blinds, modern curtains, pictures of curtains over blinds, drapes over blinds, blind curtain, blinds curtains, pictures of curtains over vertical blinds, curtains with vertical blinds, curtain over blinds, blinds curtain, drapes over vertical blinds, hanging curtains over blinds
You Might Also Like
You might also be interested in:
- Why Choose Blinds Over Curtains?Blinds are the most popular form of shade to use in your home, as they maintain both style and grace, regardless of how they are used. In comparison to curtains,...
- Window Blinds are The Best Alternative for CurtainsThere is a great kind of window coverings that are currently, and quickly, becoming more popular. When sprucing up a room to add a little decoration and ambiance, many people...
- Window Blinds for Beginners – All You Need To Know About BlindsConfused by all the different products and prices? Plantation Blinds or Wood and Faux Wood Blinds, Value Blinds or Mini Blinds, the options can seem endless. We can help make...
- Roman Blinds Vs Venetian BlindsDuring the summer, blinds are vital and beneficial components to your home or office. They come in many different designs and brands which give you a great selection to fit...
- Advantages of Hiring a Professional CleanerThere are many methods for cleaning your carpet. You can do it yourself, with household products or with cleaning agents that can be bought from your local supermarket. Another option...
- The Advantages of Stock Kitchen CabinetsStock kitchen cabinets can make it much easier to get your kitchen set up the way you want. These cabinets come in the most common configurations and represent the most...
- Advantages Of Laminate Wooden FlooringIn this modern day and age many new properties built only have carpet on the stairs or in the hallway, be they flats or houses. Indeed in the majority of...
- Advantages of Hardwood Floors in HomesThe advantages of installing hardwood flooring. How to get the most out of this option....
- What Are the Advantages of Elevators in Homes?Installing home elevators are a great option and offer many advantages when you have members in you family who find it difficult to negotiate stairs. An elevator offers them safe...
- Advantages of Glass Partitions in a Working EnvironmentMany offices have at least some areas within them which include office partitions. These partitions can be temporary or permanent, can be floor to ceiling height or lower, and can...