There are many different types of bed mattresses, as well as other information you should know about it too. First, there are the many different types of mattresses from which to choose as well as the composition of the mattress.
Combed Cotton Fibers – The cotton has been combed to remove shorter fibers from the mix. The fibers that are left are longer and are used to be woven into yarn.
Egyptian Cotton – The cotton is grown along the Nile and it is one of the highest quality cottons that is available, because it has a glossy look and smooth finish to it.
Jacquard Weaves – These are complex and are done on a special loom. The patterns are more detailed and in depth compared to other materials.
Percale Woven – These are crisp and cool, as well as very durable too. The cotton has been woven over and under each other so that they are very strong and last longer.
Pima Cotton – This is grown in South America and North America and has a silky and smooth finish to it.
Sateen Weaves – This is a special weave that creates a lustrous look to the material and it is very soft and silky as well.
Next is the thread count of the mattress. Do not be deceived by high thread counts, this is not necessarily a true factor when it comes to bedding that is better. The thread count is not used by many manufacturers to say that their bedding better, however Egyptian bedding that has a 200 thread count, will still be better than a thread count of 600. Thread count is simply how many yarns were used per the square inch of the material to make the bedding. Many companies will say they have a higher thread count because they used twisted yarns to make the material. However, this will not necessarily make the material more comfortable of of better quality. The thread count is really only a measurement to use when it comes to the construction of the material. Having a 200 thread count or more is important, especially when combined with better materials and yarns.
When you go to shop for bed mattresses, you’ll want to ask yourself a few questions before making a decision. These are:
How do you sleep?
Do you become easily hot or cold when sleeping?
Do you like crisp sheets when you get in bed?
Do you like soft and cozy sheets better?
How much do you want to spend?
What is your budget?
What patterns do you want?
What colors do you want?
You also want to look at the construction of the material. When stitches are flat and far apart, they were sewn quickly and cheaply and will not last. Check the stitches on the corners of the bedding too to make sure that these are sewn securely. Also, look at the size of the sheets and bedding. They should be big enough to fit the mattresses and be tucked in. Lastly, the yarn used should feel smooth and there should not be flaws in the material either.
Lastly, look at the care that our mattress will need. Some bed mattresses, especially luxury mattresses, require different care than a standard mattress. However, if you want luxury, the special care may be worth it to you. That said, keep in mind the following:
100% cotton should never be washed in hot water and should be taken from the dryer sooner so they do not become wrinkled.
Cotton blends can be washed in any manner and are the easiest to maintain.
Silk should never have excessive heat when washing or excessive heat when drying either.
Satin can also be washed and dried in any manner, since it is 100% polyester.
Linen blends need to be removed from the drier sooner so that they do not wrinkle.
You Might Also Like
You might also be interested in:
- Buying the Best Futon MattressIn recent years, the consolidation of living spaces has made even low square feet home multipurpose enough to resemble a full-fledged home. Multitasking and multi-purposing are the goal of this...
- Mattress Buying GuideDetermine If You Need A New Mattress. One question with which we are always approached is, “How do I know if I need a new mattress?” The answer is not...
- Will a Memory Foam Mattress Be Too Hot For You?One of the biggest complaints people have against their memory foam mattress is that it gets too hot. But not all beds are created equal. Due the subtle differences in...
- Enjoy Luxurious Comfort with Double Air Bed MattressThere’s no doubt about it, lots of us just don’t have room for an extra guest bedroom in our house. When friends and family come to stay with us, we...
- Plastic Bed Sheets – Protecting the Mattress From Getting SoiledProtecting the mattress would be easy using plastic bed sheets. You will get to enjoy those expensive mattresses of yours since they are well protected from elements that might harm...
- Great Reasons To Purchase An Air Mattress FrameAn air bed frame makes a great additional accessory to your airbed investment. As an alternative to a conventional mattress and box spring, or possibly as a stand to raise...
- Not Just Waterproof Mattress Covers But Dust Mite Resistant CoversBuying a cover to protect your mattress against allergy attacks? If you have asthma or are allergic to dust mites or dust in general then getting one of these modern...
- What To Look For When Buying A Portable ToolboxThe best portable toolbox designs not only make it possible to keep repair and project equipment on hand, but are easy to transport as well. In addition to the materials...
- Tips For Buying a New SofaWhen was the last time you took the time to notice your sofa. We spend many hours of our lives sat on our sofas whether it be watching television, having...
- Buying A DIY ConservatorySo you’ve decided to add a new conservatory to your home and are joining the growing number of people who have realised the most economical route is to buy a...