Owning a craftsman home plan is like owning a piece of history. Some of America’s most prominent architects designed the Craftsman style home. The designer we think of most was Gustave Stickly. Mr. Stickly started off his career as a furniture designer. After finding great success with his furniture designs he branched our to house plans. He developed the craftsman home design.
The design is known for its simplicity. These homes are normally informal. Charm just oozes from this home design. The curb appeal of these homes makes them a hot commodity in the housing market today.
“The Craftsman,” magazine created by Gustave Sickly promoted the craftsman style. Craftsmans homes gained their name from this very magazine. The homes show off artistry in their home construction and interior furnishing. The craftsman home was for the do it yourselfer. Mr. Stickly urged people to take the craftsman home plan and build it themselves. The original design made it affordable and available to the average home owner.
Mr. Stickly does not get sole created for the homes popularity. Other top designers of the time like Henry Mather Green and Charles Sumner Greene also made this style of home common to the average consumer. These two men meshed arts and crafts with wooden buildings from Japan and China. Like so many other new house plans being developed in the US, the craftsman found its home in California as well.
The influence of the Arts & Crafts movement during the 1800’s in England gave the Craftsman house plan its foundation. This movement was started by John Ruskin, William Morris, and other English designers. The informality and simplicity of the plan was contradicted the Victorian period and the effects of the industrial revolution.
The exterior of craftsman homes differ as you cross the US. In the west craftsman homes are found with stucco and wood. In the Midwest homes are widely found with brick exteriors. As you travel further east you will find homes with more shingles on the facade.
This homes feature
* Wood, stone, or stucco siding
* Low-pitched roof
* Wide eaves with triangular brackets
* Exposed roof rafters
* Porch with thick square or round columns
* Stone porch supports
* Exterior chimney made with stone
* Open floor plans; few hallways
* Numerous windows
* Some windows with stained or leaded glass
* Beamed ceilings
* Dark wood wainscoting and moldings
* Built-in cabinets, shelves, and seating
Today more and more home developments are designing their new communities after the craftsman style house. These homes are inviting and welcoming making them a perfect fit for young families and starter homes.Tags:
craftsman house plans, craftsman homes
You Might Also Like
You might also be interested in:
- What is Modern House Plans?Modern house plans provide a great option to the more traditional styles. Even if you don’t want to go all the way with an ultra-modern house plan, there are many...
- Decorate Your Windows With American Blinds and WallpapersAmerican blinds and wall paper is an excellent place to go to if you are looking forward to renewing your walls or windows. This company has its own website too...
- Build Your Own Garden Shed PlansWhen it comes to Sheds, finding perfect garden & storage shed plans is the key that helps you succeed in the woodworking project. It is very common that for most...
- The Best Detailed Plans For Cabinet Making SuccessConstructing your own cabinets, be it kitchen or free standing cabinet is a project that can give you a lifetime of enjoyment, but it starts with a set of detailed...
- Unusual House Warming GiftsAre you one of those people who just hate the idea of showing up to a house warming party with a gift card for the nearest home decor store? Or...
- Beautify Your House With Modern FurnitureDecorating with modern furniture successfully can be easier than with other types of styles. That’s because modern style is all about simplicity. If you can manage that, you are halfway...
- Great Guide On How To Remodel Your HouseIf you have some home improvement projects to do, you might be wondering if the cost will be less if you do some of the work yourself. The answer to...
- Guide On How To Efficiently Improve Your HouseIn terms of your home, it should be made as beautiful and comfortable as it can be. To ensure your home fits the bill, learn everything you can concerning home...
- How To Find The Right Furniture For Your HouseLearning everything you can about furniture is important to get the best deal. It pays to learn where to go, what you should look for and how to make smart...
- Great Guide On How To Fix Your House’s InteriorChoosing proper colors and arranging furniture pieces skillfully is essential to interior design. This article contains many tips for designing your ideal home. Use the advice in full or mix...