The fastest way to give your garden a face lift is by replacing the fencing and gates, particularly if you opt for a wooden garden gate. Installation is relatively easy and a wooden gate has many advantages over an iron gate, especially aesthetically.
Wooden Garden Gate Design Criteria and Location Considerations for Wooden Gates
- Use – A very important design criteria is the manner the gate will be used and how much it will have to withstand in terms of traffic and weather conditions. Security and privacy are also important factors and heavier framework and large posts can provide more strength and security. A self-closing device and high solid panelling will offer more privacy.
The way the gate is to be used will also impact the:
- fastening method
- hinged side
- direction that it opens
- closing method
- pass through clearance
Other important factors when buying a wooden garden gate to consider are:
- Type of timber to use.
- Design of the garden gate.
- Type of finish you prefer.
- Where you can buy wooden garden gates for sale.
- Wooden garden gate prices.
Selecting the Right Wood for Your Gate
Choosing the right type of timber will ensure you are happy with your entry gate. The most popular wood (and composite) choices allow you to make tradeoffs in terms of visual appearance, cost, ease of maintenance, colour, quality, and the ability to resist the elements.
The type of timber depends on your physical location, but these are the most commonly used:
- Cedar – A soft, golden tan that offers good weather and termite resistance.
- Redwood – a distinctive pink/red coloured wood which ages to gray. The red heartwood is naturally termites and moisture resistant.
- Red Balau – a dense grained, reddish-brown hardwood from Indonesia that age to a silver-gray like Teak. It is more durable than Redwood.
- Ironwoods – a heavy, chocolate-brown and durable South American hardwood. It offers excellent weather and termite resistance.
- Pressure Treated Wood – for hidden framing only use pressure treated lumber. This wood is treated with a variety of chemicals to make it termite and rot resistant.
- Redwood – for visible framing, such as cross pieces, gate posts, and railings you can upgrade to redwood for a better look.
Prices for Custom Wooden Gates:
- A basic gate is a simple wooden structure and starts at $400.
- A custom entry gate runs from $800 – $5500.
Ultimately, your gate should complement the style of your garden landscaping, as well as the look and feel of your home.
wooden gates, wooden garden gates, garden gate designs, garden gates, wooden gate designs, garden gates design, cool garden gates, garden gate pictures
You Might Also Like
You might also be interested in:
- Garden Gates For HomeownersThere is no denying that a garden can beautify your home. It is also capable of enhancing the inherent beauty of your house. It does not matter whether your house...
- Wooden Flooring BenefitsWooden flooring is a stunning and sophisticated choice when looking to redecorate or remodel your home or property. Exploring all options for attractive wood floors will show they are a...
- Bathroom Shower Remodeling and Wooden BathtubsHot tubs have been around a while and can be traced back to the Roman empire. Its healing power has been talked about for years and today we carry the...
- Economical Wooden Hardwood Staircases TreadsThere have always been those craftsmen that could create a beautiful hardwood staircase. Many of the most famous homes in the world were designed around these artistic staircases. The ability...
- Wooden Deck Boxes Can Make Your Life EasierWooden deck boxes are beautifully made pieces of furniture which will suit your outdoor needs as well as your indoor needs. Because they can be used just about anywhere for...
- Enhancing a Home Using a Wooden Basin and Other Key PiecesIf you have decided to go for a contemporary look in your home, then wooden surfaces and furniture are a great choice; the beauty of wood is that it can...
- Elegant Wooden Words For Your HomesAre your homes dull and boring because of lack of decoration? Do you get stressed when you go home tired and lie on your bed and your bedroom looks like...
- Advantages Of Laminate Wooden FlooringIn this modern day and age many new properties built only have carpet on the stairs or in the hallway, be they flats or houses. Indeed in the majority of...
- Add Value To Your Home By Investing In A Complete Wooden Floor InstallationWooden floor installation is a trend that made a strong comeback in the last few years. People are now moving away from carpeted and laminated floors to wooden sleeker finish...
- A Wooden Bed Frame Adds A Design TouchA bed frame is critical to modern or contemporary bedroom furniture designs. They provide a comfortable sleeping surface – and that is the practical aspect. They also make the bedroom...